Steve Henson brings years of experience in vocational education and has worked with many schools in the district to better understand their needs.
- Steve supported legislation to reform the Zell Miller Scholarship program to make it accessible to students throughout out Georgia.
- Steve supported legislation to help fund higher teacher salaries and after-school programs. Steve supported SB 243, to provide transparency and prevent abuses in the Student Scholarship Organization system.
- Steve will continue to work to reduce student/teacher ratios and promote excellence in our schools.
- In 2018, Senator Steve Henson was successful in passing SB 331 that would allow state lottery winners to remain anonymous by submitting a written request. The Georgia Lottery funds the HOPE scholarship program.
- Steve supported HB 372, which passed into law in 2013, to expand access to the HOPE Grant for technical schools.
- Steve works closely with schools to help increase parental involvement to make sure they get the support they deserve.
- Steve has been endorsed by the Georgia Association of Educators.
- Steve led the fight to increase funding for HBCU programs that teach engineering.
- Steve called for full funding of the Quality Basic Education (QBE) formula, which the Governor funded in 2018.
Steve supports the Community Schools model, which addresses failing schools.